Huawei E173 on Ubuntu
I've been trying to get my Huawei E173 modem working on Ubuntu. I'm no Ubuntu expert and it took me half a day to get it working, so here's what I eventually did:
Use HyperTerminal on Windows to switch device into modem mode (factory default is to make it a CD-ROM and a microSD card reader). Install all the drivers and connect to correct COM port. In my case it was
COM3, but it was just my case. I've been trying to issued
AT on all COM ports and finally I saw
OK. Then I issued
AT^U2DIAG=0 which also resulted in
OK. If you don't want to do this, you can try using
On Ubuntu I've inserted the device, and issued
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 12d1:1c05 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
/etc/modules and added a line:
usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1c05
Configure your mobile broadband connection using gnome network manager.
Use at your own risk (especially the Windows part).
Zhat mabe did the trick. Then I changed the ZET surfstick against the Huawai-stick. But a minute later I was asked for the PIN for the Huawei stick and all went well. I then edited conection form to the other PIN and that was it.
You are a popular person!!!!
There are 4 saves on delicious.com
I follow your steps and I got my modem working inside Ubuntu 12.04 64bit LTS.
1) Connect the modem to a PC running Windows and make sure it works.
2) Disconnect your computer from the network and the Internet and run Hyper Terminal.
Hyper Terminal program found under Start> Programs> Accessories> Communications> Hyper Terminal - in running Windows XP, and for Windows7 it to load.
3) In the "Connection Description" write any name, say "Huawei", and press ENTER. We are waiting for the appearance of the window "Connect". In his latest column "Connect using" to select "HUAWEI Mobile Connect - 3G Modem" and click OK.
Next after that a window with a phone number and other parameters need to just close by pressing the "Cancel".
4) Now on the toolbar of the program, press the last button "Properties":
And that opens the Properties window: the modem "select the tab" Options:
Click "Options ASCII":
Put a tick in the second top box "Show input characters on the screen."
Click OK. The top window is closed. Click OK. The last window closes, and the main window, flashing cursor.
5) Turn on CAPS LOCK and print command AT. Press ENTER. Comes the answer: OK. Means connected to the modem is installed. Introduce one of the following:
AT ^ U2DIAG = 0 (device-only modem)
AT ^ U2DIAG = 1 (the device as a modem + CD-ROM)
AT ^ U2DIAG = 255 (the device as a modem + CD-ROM + Card Reader)
AT ^ U2DIAG = 256 (the device as a modem + Card Reader).